White Water Rafting Black mountain activities (01497 847897). White water rafting and other pursuits
Indoor tennis at Bridge Street Sports centre, Bridge Street Sports CentreLeominster (01568 611172)
Horse Riding, Alison Robbins, Kimbolton (07817 624805) small stables with good instructor
Golf Kington golf course (01544 230340) – England’s highest golf course. A great course, unique and challenging in many ways. The views after the first few holes are spectacular. Mind the sheep on the fairways!
Go-Karting Herefordshire recaway (01544 318334). These are truly fast!
Quad biking paint balling, rope climbing and more, Oakerwood Leisure, Kingsland (01568 780111)
Canoeing Wye valley Canoe Centre, Glasbury-on-Wye (01497 847213). Beautiful views of the Black Mountains and lots of picnic spots en route
Gym, pool, sunbeds and sauna, The Burton Hotel, Kington (01544 230323) New good well equipped leisure centre. Currently £15 a day membership
Horse Trecking Horse trecking, Glasbury-on-Wye (01497 847351)
- Climbing, zip wires and more Taste for adventure centre, Crendenhill (01432 761398), Outdoor pursuits in abundance for adults and children run by well known ex-SAS soldier
- Balloon Flights Espiritu Balloon Flights, Shropshire (01743 790100)
Clay pigeon shooting Clay Pigeon shooting, Griffin-Lloyd shooting ground, Knighton (01547 550300)
- Walking Hergest Ridge – great views of Mid Wales. If you are organised you could leave a car on the other side at Gladestry and walk over the ridge (3-4 miles) down the other side (it’s quite steep) and have lunch at the pub. Also part of the Offa’s Dyke Path (01547 528753)
- Rally Driving Rally (01547 550300). For off-road rally training
Houses / Castles / Gardens
Hampton Court Gardens (01568 797777) for both adults and children. There is a maze, underground passage and grotto. Lunch in the Orangery is inexpensive and good. Not open all year round so check first. This is a really great place
Hergest Croft gardens (01544 230160) owned by a past secretary of the RHS. The Rhododendrons in Park Wood in May are spectacular. They also stage several open air productions during the summer
Westonbury Water Mill (01544 388650). Very close by as the crow flies though unfortunately you will have to go by road to get there. Water gardens featured previously on TV
Croft Castle (01568 780462) interesting buildings and gardens. Fabulous walks in the woods and up on the common
Bryans Ground (01544 260001) Lovely interesting garden in Presteigne with wonderful Yew hedging. Only open at certain times or by appointment
Eastnor Castle, Ledbury (01531 633160) medieval-type castle with lots to do!
Berrington Hall (01568 615721). Impressive National Trust property
Black and White Village tour – takes you through all the gorgeous villages in this part of Herefordshire
Judges Lodge, Presteigne – interesting place in lovely historic market town
Stokesay Castle, Shropshire SY7 9AH – finest 13th century fortified manor house in England
- Hampton Court Gardens (01568 797777) for both adults and children. There is a maze, underground passage and grotto. Lunch in the Orangery is inexpensive and good. Not open all year round so check first. This is a really great place.
- Small Breeds Farm Park and Owl Centre, Kington, HR5 3HF (01544 231109) Interesting collection of animals you can close to and lots of owls!
- Bushcraft, raft building and bridge building The Great Escape Fantastically organised and great fun. One day or two days (including camping out. Also will do private parties.
- Quad Biking and paint balling, rope climbing and more, Oaker leisure, Yarpole (015475 30711)
- Llangorse multiactivity Centre – indoor and outdoor climbing, zip wires, riding and other activities
- Go-karting, Herefordshire raceway (01544 318334). Theses are truly fast! Only suitable for older children
- Wye valley Canoe Centre, Glasbury-on-Wye (01497 847213). Beautiful views of the Black Mountains and lots of picnic spots en route
- Eastnor Castle, Ledbury (01531 633160) medieval-type castle with lots to do! And there’s a clay pottery workshop (01531 633886)
- Ten Pin Bowling and Golf Driving range, The Grove, Leominster (01568 610602)
- Swimming pools in Tenbury Wells (01584 810 448), Leominster (0845 2412540) and Ludlow (01584 874620) –Ludlow is further away but more fun for children with flumes
- Horse Riding, (07817624805). Alison Robbins, Churchill house, Kimbolton
- Bush craft Adventures (01544 318478) bushcraft and woodland management courses
- Taste for Adventure, The Hafod, Credenhill, Hereford HR4 7DA (01432 761398) – run by ex SAS soldier Brummie Stokes. Fantastically organised centre with activities on and off site. It boasts Europe’s premier high ropes course, super jumper trampoline, archery, assault course to name but a few.
- Court Farm and Leisure, Tillington, Hereford HR4 8LG (01432 760271) – mountain boarding. All equipment and tuition provided.
- Brecon Mountain Railway (01568 722988). If you are mad on steam trains it is worth the drive through the stunning Welsh scenery.
- Art courses with Mr Splosh (01568 617433)
Theatre / Cinema
Regal Tenbury Trust – 01584 811 442
Ludlow assembly Rooms 1 Mill Street, Ludlow, Shropshire SY8 1AZ (01584 878141). Not your high tech cinema but a very relaxing place to watch a film, see a play, band or comedian. They have a varied schedule and also run children’s art, drama and dance classes.
The courtyard, Edgar Street, Hereford, HR4 9JR (0870 1122330). They have a range of plays, films, comedians, bands and concerts. There is a coffee bar and also a restaurant.
Malvern Theatre, Malvern, Worcestershire (01684 892277). A Fantastic theatre with great plays – including pre runners for the Westend at a fraction of the normal ticket cost. It isn’t just next door and probably takes 1 hour to get to.
Odeon Cinemas, Commercial Road, Hereford (08712244007)
Assembly Rooms, Presteigne (01544267163). The place to go for a seriously alternative/arty film during the winter months.